Today, we’re unveiling the judging criteria for Hack the Commute! A few notes:
- We expect work performed over the weekend to be published, along with the code, on an open-source platform for use by the broader community.
- It is not necessary to form teams ahead of time – there will be ample opportunity on Friday night to network, meet new people, and form teams specific to projects.
- We will cap each team at 10 members maximum.
While work performed during the weekend can build on existing data & technology, we’ll judge based on work completed over the weekend.
Let us know if you have any questions or would like clarification on the below. Thanks again – we look forward to having you!
Criteria for judges
- Concept: 25 points
Does the project address a real need?
- Has the team been clear about the problem they’re solving or the benefit they’re providing? (5 points)
- Has that problem been validated by experts or sample users? (10 points)
- Would the project either benefit a broad cross-section of the community or directly address the needs of underserved populations (e.g. the elderly, disabled, low-income)? (10 points)
- Execution: 30 points
How compelling is the implementation?
- Is the prototype developed enough to clearly show the team’s vision? (10 points)
- Has the team demonstrated the capability to solve the key technical challenges in their project? (10 points)
- Is the design/user experience delightful for the target user? (10 points)
- Impact: 30 points
How much of an impact could this project have on the commute?
- How much will it alleviate current commuter frustrations? (10 points)
- How much will it help commuters adjust to new disruptions (e.g. construction, closures, accidents, weather)? (10 points)
- How likely is it to prompt behavioral changes that alleviate overall pressures on Seattle’s transportation network? (10 points)
- Implementation & Sustainability: 15 points
Will this project succeed in the long run?
- Can the project realistically be implemented and sustained, given available resources? (5 points)
- Is the team clear about what stakeholders would need to be involved moving forward? (5 points)
- Is there a plan for reaching the target audience? (5 points)